Call for Papers. 1st PoSoCoMeS conference (Chisinau, Moldova, September 2020) "Post-Socialist Memory in a Global Perspective: Postcolonialism, Posttransition, Post-trauma"
The Post-Socialist and Comparative Memory Studies (PoSoCoMeS) working group is part of the Memory Studies Association. The PoSoCoMeS group was constituted in 2018 in order to establish a platform for the exchange of ideas between scholars from different disciplines working on postsocialist memory studies and is now organizing the first PoSoCoMeS conference, which will take place on September 24-26, 2020, in Chisinau, Moldova.
PoSoCoMeS 2020 CfP (PDF, 75 Kb)
We are inviting proposals for panel and poster sessions for early-career researchers (Ph.D. and advanced MA students), including discussions of thesis proposals. Alternative formats are also welcome.
Possible topics of submissions include:
- Post-socialist writing/ writing memories of (post)socialism
- (Post)socialism in art, film and visual culture
- Museums and memories of socialism
- Nostalgia and Ostalgie
- Difficult memories of post-socialist pasts
- Transitional justice in post-socialist countries
- Memory activism connecting post-socialist countries
- Post-socialist and postcolonial entanglements of memory
- Politics of memory and memory wars in post-socialist countries
- Media and Internet shaping memories in and across post-socialist regions
- Theorizing comparative memory studies
- Post-socialist memory in Global South
- Non-alignment and memory
- Ideology and everyday life of (post)socialism
- Memory and oral history
- Transitional justice in post-socialist contexts
- Memories of transitional periods
Paper proposals should include abstracts no longer than 250 words and information about the presenter (affiliation and short biographies). Panel and roundtable proposals should include an abstract no longer than 250 words and a complete list of participants, titles of their papers, and names of discussants and/or moderators. Please, send your submission through the google form or to firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions are due January 15, 2020.