Postdoctoral Fellow in History, Philosophy, Sociology, or Cultural Studies
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 50 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of History, Philosophy, Sociology, or Cultural Studies or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in History, History of Knowledge, History of Human and Social Sciences, History of Universities, and Contemporary Culture Studies, ability to conduct research, apply for research projects, organize conferences and research seminars.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Prof. Irina Savelieva and Prof. Elena Vishlenkova;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on Poletayev Institute research projects such as:
- “Representations of the Past in the Russian Public Sphere: Institutional Framework for Reproduction and Communication Channels”;
- “Erosion of Conventions: Labor Opportunism, Academic Skepticism and Ethical Conflicts in the History of Russian Universities”;
- “Frontiers of Knowledge in the Humanities of the 21 century”;
- “Late/Post-Soviet Period: Values, Practices, Actors”.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of Poletayev Institute;
- participation in the events of the Poletayev Institute and other contribution to the institute’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
- Appointments are made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
- HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
- Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities offers access to its databases and sources.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship – Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities – official web-site of the Poletayev Institute or contact IGITI Senior Research Fellow Alexandra Kolesnik directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com